Horses are companion animals, just like dogs and cats. However, they need a lot more attention when it comes to time and financial commitment. Day-to-day care gives your horse a spectacularly shining coat and prevents him from contracting diseases. A daily feeding and grooming regime may eat into your time, but with practice, you can get this done in the shortest period.
Daily Horse Care Routine
Do you know that the best way to prepare for a horse show is through day-to-day care and management? With this, your horse will grow a fabulous coat and won’t be injured during the show. Find out how you can take of your horse like a pro.
- Feed your horse three times a day; in the morning, in the afternoon, and at night. Hay works out just fine. But make sure you include vegetable oils, and other recommended horse feeds for a balanced diet.
- Clean the water buckets and refill them in the morning and at night.
- Pick out manure and wash or blot the urine spots to give your horse’s stable a fresh smell. Manure and urine may harbour disease-causing micro-organisms.
- Replace your horse’s bedding. Make sure that the horse sleeps in dry and warm bedding. It should also be soft and free of sharp objects, which can prick your horse.
- During summer, spray your horse with insect repellent or fly spray to kill insects and other pests. Insects tend to grow and develop more when it’s hot and humid.
- Exercise your horse several times a week. You can ride or walk him around to get sunshine and fresh grass. Be sure to also stretch out his legs.
- Check and pick out his hooves at least several times a week. This aids in removing dirt, germs, and insects, which may trigger infections.